System core is the major component of CABS (centralized automated banking system).
Client settlement and cash services, intrabank accounting transactions, interbranch settlements, CSC (Cash Settlement Center), SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications) / TELEX transactions, the Main Book, regulated reporting, operative internal reporting, anti-money laundering, business day opening/closing procedures, automatic control over entered currency operations codes during registration and processing of payment instruments. There are several program units in the system.
Parameters and Settings program unit.
The program unit is meant for automation of currency operations and corresponding accounting. The program unit supports many settings:
- Bank parameter settings;
- Registration of system users and user access rights settings;
- Determination rules for entering and control over payment and cash instruments;
- Document processing steps settings;
- Maintenance of CSS(Cash Settlement Services) agreements (fees and charges);
- Portfolio settings for CSS(Cash Settlement Services) reserves;
- Settlement Center settings, maintenance of correspondent banks and contracting parties catalogue;
- Settings for automatic documents;
- Settings for operations with currency differences;
- Access Point settings for various document processing stages;
- Settings for printed documents;
- Internal system audit.
Accounting program unit (depends on the country).
“The Accounting program unit” is the main program unit of the “Centralized ABS” Subsystem and is meant for maintenance of the major directories and catalogues of the system, document registration and processing, as well as for accounting automation during the operations with the bank’s payment instruments. “Settlement Center” and “Operating Cash Desk”are integral parts of the program unit. The program unit provides for interconnection with other program units.
On the basis of accepted practice, “the Accounting program unit” (depends on the country) has the following parts:
- Major Directories and Catalogues;
- National Currency and Foreign Currency Payment Instruments;
- Operating Cash Desk;
- Settlement Center;
- The Main Book and Reports,
- Routine Procedures. Operation Bank Day Administrator.
“The Accounting program unit” (depends on the country) has the following major functions:
- Maintenance of the main catalogues of the system (National (Central) Bank account card, catalogues of the bank’s clients and their personal accounts;
- Maintenance of extensible client profiles;
- Maintenance of client contracts;
- Pegging tariffs to client’s accounts;
- Maintenance of the main directories ( BIC Codes, Tax Offices, Extremists, Mass Applicants, Invalid Passports etc.;
- Maintenance of the Directory for Banking Non-cash Currency Exchange Rates;
- Maintenance of the National (Central) Bank Directory for Exchange Rates;
- Registration, control over filling of fields and follow-up operational control over Payment Instruments (PI);
- Additional adjustable logical control over instruments;
- Payment Instruments (PI) processing – routing, statement and special account analysis, upload to external subsystems;
- Maintenance of the Main Book (document register, balance of personal accounts, statements, turnover balance sheet and balance of the bank);
- OBD administration (closing of corresponding accounts, OBD closing, reassessment of balance for foreign currency accounts and rollback of the activities, if necessary);
- Client verification through databases in accordance with the rules of the National (Central) Bank, risk assessment documents, AML (anti-money laundering) documents.
In “the Accounting program unit” (depends on the country) the possibility of automated work with cash instruments in a commercial bank is implemented. “The Operating Cash Desk” program unit provides operations with four types of cash instruments:
- Cash contribution declaration;
- Receipt voucher;
- Disbursement voucher.
The program unit provides the opportunity:
- To register and print cash instruments with account balance checking, taking into account shadow turnovers, with mandatory confirmation that the client’s check belongs to the client’s checkbook, with the opportunity to check cash plan accomplishment;
- To generate and save cash transaction reports;
- To carry out cashier services, including the control of cashier’s cash and off-balance funds;
- To register the client’s checkbooks, to confirm that that the check belongs to the checkbook;
- To enter the cash plan with further checking of its accomplishment;
- To change the current date during document registration;
- To set cashiers’ access rights to certain transactions and accounts.
The Accounting program unit (Depends on the country) also has the following functions:
- Handling of bank memorial orders. Maintenance of consolidated orders;
- Registration and follow-up control over documents;
- Direct registration of documents between the accounts of the HO (Head Office) and the branches;
- Execution of group operations (multi-order);
- Execution of conversion operations;
- Calculation of interest on personal account balances.
The Accounting program unit allows to perform the main types of money transfer operations – in national and foreign currencies, it operates on a real-time basis and maintains the balances on personal accounts till their accounting. The fee is automatically charged during the operations in accordance with a client’s tariff.
The program unit has the following functions:
- Rules for generation of sent messages;
- Maintenance of the catalogue of correspondent banks and other banks participating in settlements;
- Maintenance of account details of correspondent banks;
- Overdraft and limit control for personal accounts;
- Secondary control over payment instruments and execution of transfers;
- Overdraft control for the accounts in correspondent banks;
- Document support by value date;
- Calculation of the payment position for a correspondent account;
- Generation of messages (MT102, MT103, MT200, MT202, MT210, MT900, MT910, MT940, MT950, МТ192, МТ292, МТ195, МТ295, МТ196, МТ296, МТ199, МТ299, МТ999 etc.) to be sent in TELEX or SWIFT formats;
- Processing of incoming messages in SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications) and TELEX formats;
- Automatic generation of accounting postings, including commission postings;
- Recalculation of current balances, taking into account non-execution documents;
- History maintenance for payment orders and generated messages;
- Maintenance of an OFAC(Office of Foreign Assets Control) dictionary, containing characters and words that are allowed for message generation;
- User authentication – using a code, allowing to upload a message in a certain format (SWIFT, TELEX) with the formation of a check sum for the message;
- Keying of TELEX messages;
- Maintenance of the BIC (Bank Identifier Code) directory.
The Import-Export program unit is an additional program unit in the subsystem. It provides the opportunity:
- To import and export various information (regarding clients, turnovers, postings, accounts, payment instruments etc.) between the Head Office and the branches (or remote subdivisions) of the bank in the off-line mode;
- To convert information between different ABSs (Automated Banking System) or subsystems of different ABSs.